We will make this event an ALEsome one-of-a-kind experience, away from our daily troubles and tools.
We will be using something different, entertaining, interactive to maintain spirit and emotional connections that's always been in the heart of ALE.
GATHER.TOWN: HOW TO ?
Gather.Town is an exciting virtual world full of surprises. To help you get familiar with this tool, we created this guide so that you are fully onboard when we go live on Aug 17.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Best possible internet connection.
- A desktop/laptop with a mic and camera.
- Chrome browser (more here: https://support.gather.town/help/movement-and-basics)
- Headphones recommended to help prevent surrounding noise.
That’s it! There’s nothing to install, no software to download.
HOW IT WORKS:
Gather Town is a video chat platform that has avatars move around a map. As you get close to other avatars, your video will pop up and you will be able to chat. Getting started:
- Type in your name and choose your avatar. For this, please use the following naming structure “Country / first name”. See icon section below on how to change your avatar.
- Move around the space using the arrow keys. If you see a yellow object press ‘x’ to interact with it – these can be whiteboards, Red Bull coolers, Videos, etc.
- Press ‘g’ to walk through avatars.
- By moving your avatar, you can have spontaneous conversations with anyone around you. These can be either one-on-one or small groups depending on how many people are nearby.
Refreshing the page will fix most things! If that doesn’t work, try muting and unmuting your mic and camera in Gather Town/check if your browser permits camera and mic access.
Here are some other points you might find useful.
- There is a messaging feature that allows you to message people either:
- Individually by clicking on their name in the participant panel on the bottom left menu bar
- Nearby to the people you are video chatting with
- Everyone to all the people in your map.
- There is a ‘locate’ feature to find others by clicking their name in the participant panel on the left-hand side. You can also select ‘follow’ from the same view and this will automatically take you to the location of the person you selected.
- If you wish to full screen someone else’s video, simply click on their video.
- If you are talking to a group of people, you can click the down arrows centered below the videos to shift into grid view.
- There are a few red circle ‘spotlights’ placed around the map. If you step on these, everyone can hear and see you from wherever they are within that same room.