Let's Make ALE2020 in Riga Greener
During the event we tend to keep warm memories about unforgettable performances and involvement of all the participants. However, together with the joy of undivided presence and indulging in culture the contradicting nature of the society is also visible: while we are enjoying our gathering, damage and wasted resources are often left behind us. Have to confess also that Latvia is still one of the few countries in Europe with no deposit system for plastic and glass bottles, and there are more areas for development if we talk about practical sustainable infrastructure in the country.
However, the good news are that people, in general, become more and more open-minded about environment-friendly lifestyle, thus, including below ideas in public events is a wise thing to do.
Here are 7 sustainability tips to help our event and stay in Riga be more environmentally friendly - with less GHG emissions and better waste statistics.
- Walk, Bike, and Take Public Transportation! ALE2020 event location is very convenient for a morning walk to the event and back to the hotel or dinner in the evenings, so you get a little bit of physical exercise and beautiful views by crossing the bridge to Old Town. From Airport Buss 22 will take you to the city in 15-20 minutes. Cars are responsible for around 12% of total EU emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2), the main greenhouse gas. Source: ec.europa.eu
- Share your Taxi with others! Instead of going alone, ask friends if they are targeting the same direction.
- Make sustainable purchases! Prior purchasing: (1) assess the necessity of purchasing products and materials and use the already available materials, or items left over from previous events; (2) borrow or rent instead of buying new. Buy local, natural, and eco-labelled materials and products. !!!ALE2020 goody bags will be organized for all participants, however in case you find no need for any item in the bag, there will be special box to leave/share goody items. Items left will be donated.
- Do not waste food! Only take what you need from a buffet at the venue and in the hotel or restaurant. Ask for a doggie bag to take home any of your leftovers from a restaurant (eco friendly packaging will be provided at ALE 2020 lunch). Worldwide humans put to waste one out of three food calories produced. These wasted calories are enough to feed three billion people. Wasted food represents about 8% of global greenhouse gas emissions, and is a main contributor to deforestation and the depletion of global water sources. Source: WWF
- Refill your water bottle! Tap water is safe to drink in Riga! 3 liters of water are used to produce 1 liter of plastic-bottled water, and 2 kg of oil are used to produce 1 kg of plastic, so eliminating the use of plastic-bottled water is a great step. Bottled water, which also tends to be exclusive and in the price of cheap wine, costs up to 300 times more than tap water. Source: ec.europa.eu
- Manage our waste! During the event there will be recycling options available. In the city there are not so many recycling bins available, however - if you see them near the houses, use them! All recycling containers near any residential homes are for shared public use (only dark green containers for general waste near houses are private).
- Be creative when using paper and other products! When possible use old posters for flip charts or for various creative purposes of the event. Keep useful materials (paper, other). They can be handed over to local schools, hobby groups, day care centres.
Photo by Markus Spiske temporausch.com from Pexels